Monday, September 10, 2012

Book Review: The Fairy Ring by Mary Losure.

The Fairy Ring: Or Elsie and Frances Fool the WorldThe Fairy Ring by Mary Losure.
Book Summary: The enchanting true story of a girl who saw fairies, and another with a gift for art, who concocted a story to stay out of trouble and ended up fooling the world.
Frances was nine when she first saw the fairies. They were tiny men, dressed all in green. Nobody but Frances saw them, so her cousin Elsie painted paper fairies and took photographs of them "dancing" around Frances to make the grown-ups stop teasing. The girls promised each other they would never, ever tell that the photos weren’t real. But how were Frances and Elsie supposed to know that their photographs would fall into the hands of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle? And who would have dreamed that the man who created the famous detective Sherlock Holmes believed ardently in fairies— and wanted very much to see one? Mary Losure presents this enthralling true story as a fanciful narrative featuring the original Cottingley fairy photos and previously unpublished drawings and images from the family’s archives. A delight for everyone with a fondness for fairies, and for anyone who has ever started something that spun out of control.

Liana's Summary: Frances saw fairies. She told everyone that. No one believed her, though. Everyone knows fairies AREN'T real. But her cousin, Elsie, hatched up a plan to make everyone believe them, real or not. True or false. It doesn't matter- as long as people believed them.

Rate(1-10): 6

I didn't really like this book! After all, I don't think it deserves a <5 because I don't want to be unfair. After all, it was my fault for reading a book meant for younger readers. (Although I did notice that a lot of adults liked it as well!) I suppose it's not a teenager book. I would totally recommend this to Elementary school kids. It's meant for middle grade students, but, I would really recommend this to avid Elementary readers. Because if kids in Elementary school don't read, they won't even enjoy this book at all. I guess it's for little kids, and adults. Not teenagers. Please. Especially teenagers like me that expect romance in a good book! (As long as there's romance. I'm happy.)

The good thing was, I actually finished this book quite fast! I got the ARC version, even if it was published already, so it might or might not have been different from the published copy. Just a little, anyway.

There WERE parts I liked in this book! For example, one of them was learning about old fashioned cameras! You had to like, put this glass plate in and the picture would ink on it. It's so kewl~ :D And I'm such a photography freak, too. Also, I learned that old fashioned styles were kind of awkward, like, ladies with big buns and hats and stuff. I didn't know they used gum to keep their hair in their hats. Ew. I'm starting to realize that I actually learned stuff! No wonder adults enjoy it.

I wasn't planning to read this book just yet, but I wanted to read a fast little story so I could kill time between now and Thursday- the day I'm going to the book club in my school hosted by author C.J. Omololu, author of TRANSCENDENCE and DIRTY LITTLE SECRETS.  I'll get to receive this one book the group is supposed to read and discuss. I forgot the title. Facepalm.

The reason why I would recommend this for younger readers is because there's no vocab at all that they don't explain for you right after the word is listed. (If that made sense. Sorry, been typing sentences that don't make sense recently.) And it's really short, too. The words are HUGE. I'm talking HUGE. And there's pictures. Yipee.


Anyway, I'm not really a big fan of fairies, and thank goodness this book didn't have anything big on talking fairies and sparkles. After all, it is a true story. The book's summary sort of spoils stuff, and in my summary I tried not to spoil anything.

I don't really have much to say. (Or maybe I do, but I'm rushing to finish this review and all the stuff I was about to say ran out of my head.)

I guess my quotes will express the rest of my thoughts! And no, there's not much. I said it was short.

"She was a slow reader, a terrible speller, and was always getting scolded for daydreaming."


"Then, a week later, he had to return to France, for the war was still not over."
I'm learning French. -pedoface-

"..called changelings.."
How many times have I seen that word in fairy-related books.

"I know quite well that fairies exist..."
No. Just no.

"Mr. Gardner had sent a box of chocolates and a letter for Elise, not her mother."
Pervert status. LOL, just saying. I'm a teenager. I tend to think like that.

"His name was Sir Arthur Conan Doyle."
Who is that again. omg.

"Most people knew him as the creator of Sherlock Holmes, the world's most famous detective."
OH, SO THAT'S WHO HE IS. :D S. Holmes is fab.

"The book was two and half inches thick and 319 pages long."
Wait, 2 and a half? That's not 319! Unless the words were big as fingers..

 "Elsie's fairy wore an evening dress and a fashionable 'bob' haircut."
Ew. That haircut. I once had a dude cut my hair, and he gave me this haircut, and I cried.

"Frances hated it when the newspapermen tried to interview her."
PAPARAZZI CHASE.

"Why the hell should I care what you think?"
Well. Maybe not for Kindergarteners after all.
-----------

And that's all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!