Friday, October 12, 2012

Book Review: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld.


Uglies (Uglies, #1) Uglies by Scott Westerfeld.
Book Summary: Tally Youngblood is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait for the operation that turns everyone from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to party. But new friend Shay would rather hoverboard to "the Smoke" and be free. Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty. The "Special Circumstances" authority Dr Cable offers Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

Liana's Summary: Tally can't wait to turn sixteen. She's finally going to be pretty. But, when she meets Shay, she finds out Shay doesn't want to turn pretty. Instead, she wants to run away.  So when Tally is about to get her operation, there's a last minute Special Circumstances situation. It involves breaking a promise- or she won't turn pretty at all.

Rate(1-10): 10!

I don't really know why I gave it a ten. Maybe because it was so much more awesome and epic than I anticipated for? So, this book has been on my TBR for who-knows-how-long. I've been pre-discussing it to fellow bookaholics, and I did hear a bunch of negative statements about it. Since this book was for my school's Book Club, I ended up reading it anyways.

AND IT WAS SO GOOD. I loved it! I stayed up late just to finish it. Usually I just take my time on a book, but this book was so full of suspense. It was a quick and fast read. Or is it just me. I used to consider 400 pages a lot. I think it's the plot that's fast-paced. Quite interesting! Westerfeld is actually a better romance writer than I expected. Although, expectant romance readers, this book is not for you. The romance is quite slow. And awkward. But still good enough!

This book is really dystopian. I'm talking REALLY. I mean, when an author writes a dystopia, it's the reader's job to see it in their heads and go along with the story. I think, if new dystopia readers were to read this book, they would be totally confused. It's not really a good intro to dystopia. I would recommend "The Giver" by Lois Lowry. It helped me get introduced to Dystopia.

The ending is so dramatic. I love it. And it's a major cliffhanger too. I'm not really sure if I want to read the rest of the series. Maybe I'm bound to read Pretties, but possibly not the rest. Oh well. We shall see. (Honestly I haven't read books by guy authors since last month. And that was Nicholas Sparks. It's different.)

So, I liked the plot. The plot was fab. But the characters? Ew. I don't like none of them. So, first of all.

Tally reminds me of Lena from Lauren Oliver's Delirium. And I don't like Lena. They're both very insistent on what's 'right'. Ahem.
Peris is such a big girly guy. He never struck me as the type I would like as a character. He's very expectant.
Shay is just. Ugh. I liked her at first, but then she ended up ruining EVERYTHING. I say EVERYTHING.
And the rest of the characters are just.. not worth discussing. I mean, they're important and all, but they're not important.

Since I dislike the protagonists, I don't think I even want to go to the antagonists. UGH. Ugh to the max.

That's all I really have to say. So, quotes? (;

"She should be back in the darkness of Uglyville,.."
Dumbest. Name. Ever.
"Unlike an ugly party, there'd never be any fights, or even arguments."
So what's the point of turning pretty when uglies are the most peaceful?

"September ninth, right?"
OH WOW. That's a day after my birthday! (;

"His name's David."
"David? That's a weird name."


I see how it is in dystopian worlds. The normal is the unusual. Sigh.

"..we're not hyped-up Barbie dolls."
"What kind of dolls?"


She doesn't know what Barbie is. omg. This world is 100% dystopian.

"For a moment, Shay's ugly face looked perfect."
image

"There's a problem with your operation. Come with me." 
I knew it. -facepalm- 
"Tally, my poor baby."
Oh my goodness. I once wrote this continuation chapter for Of Mice and Men. Where Curley broke his hand. I continued when his wife comes in and shrieks "MY POOR BABY!" Oh my goodness.
"I'm so excited!" 
I just really dislike Peris.

"The track stretched off in two directions.."
I told you, ONE DIRECTION. NOT TWO.

"..was called Tonk."
Nymphandora Tonks? (; I miss Harry Potter so much.

"What's a volunteer?"
Like I said. Dystopian to the max.

"I was amazed when I saw you running down that hill."
-runrunrun-
GASP! AMAZING!
This romance makes no sense.

"I'd like you to meet my parents."
Oh, It's time.

"No!"

So dramatic! Need it be so dramatic?
---------------------------------
And that is it!

What I noticed about this book was that there was no new vocab. No wonder I understood it deeply!
What did you think of this review? ;D

4 comments:

  1. I have this book on my nightstand and I think I'm going to read it soon. I haven't read it until now because I wasn't very sure I would like it. But your review made me curious... I mean, you didn't like any of the characters? I always thought that a good character will make you mad at some point and this is what makes him/ her realistic. I guess I'm just going to read and see for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it! The story plot is pretty good but all the characters were just ugh.

      Delete
    2. Lol! Ok, I'll read it and I promise I'll come back here to tell you what I think about the characters. :)

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!