Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Book Review: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.

Before I Fall Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.
Book Summary: What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life? Samantha Kingston has it all: looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it turns out to be her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. Living the last day of her life seven times during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death--and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.

Liana's Summary: After dying, Sam only has one day to live- over and over and over again. She wakes up, boom. It's the morning of that same day after she lived it already. The 'best' part is, no one remembers what happens each day. So Sam can start from a clean slate every day and experiment all she wants. But that doesn't really mean it's a good thing.

Rate(1-10): 10

Wow. I totally wanted to read this because it came from LAUREN OLIVER. You know what Lauren Oliver did to me. She has to make her fans wait so long just for book 3 of Delirium! UGH. I'm literally dying here. Anyways, I totally forgot how amazing her writing style is. This book just reminded me. Wow. Just wow. I always thought that I was in love with Delirium because of the amazing plot and plot twists but all that was because of Lauren Oliver's writing.

Okay. Enough of that. The plot.

Basically, Sam. How do I explain her. She's so freaking ugh in the beginning. Like, ew. I just didn't like her at all. She tried to be all bad and mean and ahem, 'cool and popular.' But.. the good thing is, the amount of character development that unfolded before my eyes is flipping amazing. I seriously liked Sam a lot at the end of the book. I seriously hated her in the beginning though. She MADE OUT with her freaking teacher. And she doesn't care about other people's life and death. Ugh.

The plot is all so tragic. (Yet lovely)

Anyways, the main character just dies one day and then wakes up as herself the day she died, in the morning, completely fine, starting the day over again, and then the next day she wakes up that same day. If that makes sense. Gosh, I just reread that sentence and caused myself to get a headache. Well, basically she's reliving the same day over and over again with a clean slate every morning without anyone remembering she did anything. Which isn't good but good at the same time because, well, she can fix her mistakes and try different things out. But then she has to fall in love ALL OVER AGAIN EVERY DAY. It's not like it's too difficult because the poor guy has already loved her for a long time. The romance is perfect. Liana approves. In fact, I applaud. I love love love love love the romance here.

My favorite part in the whole entire book is where she told Kent that his kiss was the best kiss she had, and then he says that he never kissed her, and then she says that he'd better hurry up and kiss her then. It was so cute. Wow. He just totally reminds me of Twilight because Kent radiates heat like Jacob does. Wow. It's too.. contemporary for werewolves to exist anyways.

This book reminds me of David Levithan's Every Day and Alex Flinn's Bewitching because, like EVERY DAY, the main characters is forced to live a day that she doesn't exactly want to. And they both do reckless things just because no one will know except themselves. It's different, but still the same. LOL. And like Bewitching, there's social bullying problems and at least one of the characters are a $*32$!@(#*$*#@$)@%&DFSKLJFSKL:DJ. yeah. You get it. It's just like Bewitching and Every Day mixed and mashed together, with the awesome extra ingredient of Lauren Oliver's writing style.

I seriously think the reliving-the-day-over-again was pretty cool. It just made Sam realize how horrible she was in the beginning and change for the better. If the ending wasn't so tragic everything would have been different. I guess it's a necessary sacrifice.

The title means a lot, now that I look at it. This book is fabulously amazing.

Anyways, quotes!

"My parents are away this weekend.."

My question: Why do fictional teenagers always do badass things when their parents are away?!

"She's always going off on tangents.."

That's the definition of one of my former teachers omg.

"..and Ally's OCD and.."

I'M OCD!!

"..planting a wet kiss on my cheek.."

image

"Open-mouthed, slurpy, moaning kind of kissing..."
image

"..taking one of her infamously long showers.."

Psh. I take like 40 minutes.

"..away and starts flirting with the waiters in bad French."

C'est nul.

"R u sick?"

This is what I wanted to comment about. So, Sam's boyfriend, Rob, is a huge jerk. Why are they even still together? All he wants is to have sex. This is partially the reason why I didn't like Sam in the beginning. Because she didn't know. He can't even say "I love you" without abbreviating it to "Luv ya" and he can't even type out the ARE when he texts his girlfriend to asks if she's sick. Just wow.

"..that my head fits perfectly in Kent's shoulder..."

image

"..punch in Kent's number..."

Someone tell me how she memorizes his number.
---------

And yeah, that's it! Man, I just realized these quotes are so ridiculously quotable.
What did you think of this review? (;

3 comments:

  1. I felt the same way you do. I hated the start, it reminded me of Mean Girls and its not something that I normally read. But then as I read more and more I started to like it.
    Plus you know, I loved Kent haha.
    I thought all in all it was a good book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book teaches us a little something about life. It is never too late to change. I admire the author for her creativity . An amazing story that brought the readers on an emotional roller coaster. It was amazing!
    Best Donate Cell Phones and Save our Environment

    ReplyDelete
  3. The characters were incredible. Specially Lindsey's and Kent's. This is definitely the best debut novel I've read since Graceling in 2008. I am really excited to read more 2010 debuts! If they're half as good as this one, they're pretty much amazing. This is by far THE book you must not miss this year. In fact, if you haven't read it yet, you're missing out.

    Mica
    www.seattlesearchengineoptimization.net

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!