Saturday, November 17, 2012

Book Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor.

Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor.
Book Summary: Around the world, black hand prints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky. 


In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war. 


Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages—not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

Liana's Summary: Karou is an artist. She has natural blue hair. She's really different- she doesn't have any clue of her true identity.When she meets Akiva, things change..

Rate(1-10): 6 Yeah I know I'm being so unfair

Despite the gorgeous cover, the fabulous title, the high Goodreads ratings,  and the appealing book trailer, I didn't really like this book. 

But then I do acknowledge my unjustness because it's kind of my fault that I didn't get anything I read. Mainly because there were so much distractions. It wasn't the right time to read this book. However, I am willing to give this book another chance in the future! So yeah.

All I caught was a few details, which were pretty awesome. I think the author finally captivated me on the climax. But, overall? I didn't understand what I was reading.

In the first 30 pages, I didn't understand what I was reading at all, but I didn't really care because some books I read are like that- not appealing in the first 30 pages or so and then really good later. But it was really different in this book- I didn't understand what was happening the whole time. I don't think the author's writing is captivating enough.

Now, don't get me wrong. This isn't a negative review. 

I totally loved all the allusions and everything. Also this book falls into the genre of my favorite books. But then.. you know. (Probably not but I'm just going to assume..)

Anyways.. Um. I really have nothing left to say. Typing the summary was difficult too. I tried to pay attention as much as I could but then I constantly found myself wandering off and.. yeah.




Quotes! (At least there are really good quotes)

"So I can fly-"
I BELIEVE I CAN FLYY~~


"We will need more incense soon."
So. Asian. Incense smells good.

"She hurt."




"Just be quiet for a minute and I'll fix your stupid eyebrows."




"..her crescent-moon knives."




"After she died, she was going to save Akiva's life."




"Like vegetables, she thought, before they go in the stew."


image

"You're beautiful."
YOU DON'T KNOW- OH-OH! YOU DON'T KNOW YER BEAUTIFULLLL~

"I came here for you."


image
-------------

And yeah.

One thing I noticed was that Laini Taylor uses a lot of emphasis! That's pretty cool.


Anyways, that's all!

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting to get a different perspective on this book. I first heard about it through the sequeal - which I've seen nothing but good things - and now I'm wondering if the series is going to be over hyped. HATE when that happens.

    Also, you're reaction gifs/comments on the quotes are awesome. Especially the Winnie the Pooh one.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!