Saturday, December 29, 2012

Book Review: The Fire by James Patterson.

The FireThe Fire by James Patterson.
Witch and Wizard #3
Book Summary: Whit and Wisty Allgood have sacrificed everything to lead the resistance against the merciless totalitarian regime that governs their world. Its supreme leader, The One Who Is The One, has banned everything they hold dear: books, music, art, and imagination. But the growing strength of the siblings' magic hasn't been enough to stop The One's evil rampage, and now he's executed the only family they had left.

Wisty knows that the time has finally come for her to face The One. But her fight and her fire only channel more power to this already invincible being. How can she and Whit possibly prepare for a showdown with the ruthless villain that devastated their world--before he can truly become all-powerful?

In this stunning third installment of the epic, bestselling Witch & Wizard series, the stakes have never been higher--and the consequences will change everything.

Liana's Summary: Wisty knows it's time to finally face The One. And she can defeat him. But with what? If she uses her Gift on him, it just makes him stronger. He wants her Fire. Whit is prepared to fight. Fight for his parents, for his sister, and for his dead girlfriend, Celia. He must fight The One. And for The One to fall, Whit and Wisty must be the children of the Prophecies and work together to defeat him.

Rate(1-10): 9

I didn't think I would be reading it so soon. Right after reading The Gift, too! Who would have thought I would see this at Walmart. 

Now, this book, was fantabulous. If this series were a trilogy I would say this book was a fantastic conclusion to a wonderful story. Eh. But no, there's a book 4. Come on, James Patterson. Why write more? The antagonist is finally defeated, the ending is a happy one. This just reminds me of City of Glass by Cassandra Clare. Because in Glass, that's where the antagonist fell. That was book 3. There was a happy ending, not another one of Clare's torturing cliffhanger endings. And then she wrote a book 4. (Which I loved btw but other people saw it as extra and unneeded) I feel that a book 4 of this series is SO unneeded. But honestly I can't bear holding a book called The Kiss in public. Just noooo. There's a happy ending, okay. Why can't it be like The Serpent's Shadow, where the characters are not quite done with their business but they end the trilogy anyways because there isn't anything else to write. 

Urgh. Well James Patterson, we shall see how it turns out. Because yes. I am reading The Kiss. Just not in public.

Even if this plot was gorgeously constructed, I can't get over James Patterson's kaljdlskfja;sjda writing. I think I could have wrote like that when I was 10 years old. And then the characters.

Wisty, I'm fine with. She matured over time. She changed. For the better.
BUT WHIT. Just come on. He's so freaking obsessed with Celia. He can't accept the fact that she's dead. I know it must be hard but he keeps digressing from his goal to look for Celia. And I think he was so much more mature in the beginning. He cries too much. Usually people cry from frustration, not sadness. Ok. I could have accepted it if Whit cried once or twice but he cried so much more. He's 18 years old.
As for Byron, I think I finally like him now. But he's still a loser. LOL.

And yeah, quotes.

"To Celia, the love of my life.."

I'm annoyed at his... I can't find a word. His insistence. His stubbornness.

"I can't not help."

Double negatives are my specialty.

"..Byron Swain!"

WHAT

"Janine!"


"I still love Celia, and I don't know exactly what I feel for Janine..."
image

"Did Byron give me up-- again?"

Someone kill this kid already ugh I can't stand his betrayals
"..he kisses me."

OH GOD EW

"... I can't stop tasting Pearce's gross, papery lips,.."

Lips can be papery? OH GROSS EW

"I guess I just thought we had something, Wisty."

"-- instead he punches him in the face over and over."

"He's the one who murdered me!"

"I spot Whit sobbing further downstream."

WHIT. STOP SOBBING AND DO SOMETHING.

"..leans in for the most tender, electric kiss I could have ever imagined..."

Oh my this is awkward

"Whit gives a low whistle."

This is really awkward now.

"Byron's got his arm around Wisty's waist..."

That's not awkward at all.
------------
And that's that. What did you think of this review? (;

2 comments:

  1. Here is something crazy, but I have yet to read a James Patterson book. This sounds like a series that I would enjoy, although I may have a similar reaction to Whit. A character that is stuck on something and can't move on, annoys the hell out of me. I know what your saying, it must be hard, and in real life, I have a whole lot more sympathy, but in my fiction, I want to sympathize with the character and move on. Thanks for the great, fun, and detailed review. I will have to try out the first in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't read my first JP book until recently, either! Thanks for taking the time to comment. (:

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!