Friday, December 14, 2012

Book Review: The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda.

The Hunt (The Hunt, #1) The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda.
Book Summary: Don’t Sweat.  Don’t Laugh.  Don’t draw attention to yourself.  And most of all, whatever you do, do not fall in love with one of them.

Gene is different from everyone else around him.  He can’t run with lightning speed, sunlight doesn’t hurt him and he doesn’t have an unquenchable lust for blood.  Gene is a human, and he knows the rules.  Keep the truth a secret.  It’s the only way to stay alive in a world of night—a world where humans are considered a delicacy and hunted for their blood.

When he’s chosen for a once in a lifetime opportunity to hunt the last remaining humans, Gene’s carefully constructed life begins to crumble around him.  He’s thrust into the path of a girl who makes him feel things he never thought possible—and into a ruthless pack of hunters whose suspicions about his true nature are growing. Now that Gene has finally found something worth fighting for, his need to survive is stronger than ever—but is it worth the cost of his humanity?

Liana's Summary: Gene's always been told by his father to not bring extra attention to himself. Or he will be dead. He will be torn to pieces and devoured. The best solution is to just pretend to be one of them. One of the bloodsuckers. But, if he lets any of them find out in any abmormal heperly way, he's dead for sure. When he's chosen to be part of The Hunt, his secret is in even more danger of being uncovered. And there's the girl. She has a secret as well. But, what is it? Is it going to be a good thing? Or a bad one?

Rate(1-10): 10

When I first picked this book up, I was like, "Oh snap, this book looks pretty good. I'll give it a try." And OH BOY CAN I SAY THAT I AM SO SATISFIED. This book exceeded my expectations. It was a really spectacular, terrifying, horrifying, and amazing read. The writing is so fabulously amazing I almost died.

The suspense is so gorgeously created and it keeps the readers at the edge of their seats the whole entire time.

So let me just explain my hate for bloodsuckers right here and right now.

I hate vampires. I hate all bloodsuckers with fangs. I don't know. I just hate them (exceptions include Simon Lewis from The Mortal Instruments) So when I first cracked open this book, I was so irritated and impatient and bored. But then when I got further, everything changed. For the good. Flipping amazing.

Basically, the humans are now a rare species. And 'normal' people are the bloodsuckers. And the bloodsuckers yearn for human blood. They call humans 'hepers.' The main character, Gene, is a heper. (You don't even get to know his name until the very middle wow just wow) He's been taught by his father to not bring extra attention to himself, because, well. He lives in a world of bloodsuckers, and the only way to survive that is to pretend to be one of them. But it's really risky. If he sneezes, coughs, bleeds, etc etc, he's busted, and dead. And the whole time all the bloodsuckers are smelling his odor like 'Do you smell that? It's fresh heper.' And all that is really suspenseful because Gene could die any minute.

Gene, well. I didn't really get to know him that well. Even if he narrated with a first-person POV. He seems sort of shy and timid. I think that we as readers don't get to know him that well because he has no one to express himself to, since he can't do anything without exposing his heperness. However, one thing I know about him is that he's really noble. He illustrated that part of him so well at the end, omg. He'll save someone else before he saves himself. I guess sometimes he's really impatient and stuff. But other than that I don't know anything else about him. Dude, I don't even know how he looks like. But that's kind of good because I imagined him as Jonathan Bennett. If there's no character description then I might as well imagine him as a hot actor. LOL.

Since Gene was immersed in a world full of bloodsuckers he was led to believe what the others believed. That hepers were ignorant, wild, and brainless creatures that didn't know anything.

I hated that because he was so ignorant about the whole thing, like, when he actually met some humans he was like "OMG THEY CAN TALK AND MOVE AND THEY'RE SO ADEPT"

But, what I found interesting was Gene's description of some of the most everyday things we do that we pay no extra attention to, such as laughing, sneezing, coughing, etc. He was really clueless about hepers. Despite him being one himself.

The whole thing made it interesting.

Okay, so the romance.

The romance. I could have done fine without it, honestly. It's not really important except for the fact that the romance was the thing that urged both of the lovers to do all those brave and reckless things for each other that moved the plot forward so much.

It's kinda awkward though. I don't know.

-I KNOW YOUR SECRET
-I LIKED YOU FOR SO LONG
-LIKE ME BACK
-WHAT YOU DON'T LIKE ME BACK
-AT LEAST JUST PRETEND FOR A SECOND OKAY THAT YOU LIKE ME
-HOW DOES THIS FEEL
-WE CAN FIGHT TOGETHER

Even if it's awkward.. it's still awkwardly cute because they actually really like each other.

The ending just killed me so much omg. I was reading it and I saw the last sentence. And then I slapped the book on the table. "ARE YOU SERIOUS."

There were a lot of plot twists throughout this whole book. Did I say that this book was gorgeously and amazingly written?

Now I have to get book 2. That ending.. ugh. Let me be thankful first that this series is actually a series at all. Because if it weren't then Andrew Fukuda would be so brutal to let us readers know that the story isn't gonna continue, that it ended there.

Anyways..
Quotes!
Note: Since the quotes are from an ARC edition of this book, the quotes might not be exactly the same as the final published version's.

"She would be so delicious,.."

There's just something strangely disturbing about talking about humans like they're some lusciously delicious meal.

"Because I can smell heper."


"Those hepers are just like zoo animals."

Actually, bloodsuckers are more like zoo animals.

"It's just so good to have a...friend."


"..heper virgins.."

Is it just me or does that term sound really awkward.

"he's different."



"The Palace needs someone who is well-spoken, thoughtful, restrained, detail-oriented."


"Girls love it."


"Please."

Condescending much?

"Is it so hard to like me?" she asks, whispering, her eyes searching mine. "Is it really that hard?"


"I'm thunderstruck. These hepers speak."

Naaaaaaw.

"What's a 'name'?"

Out of all the I'm-in-dystopia-so-I'm-clueless questions this one was the worst. LOL.

"I thought I heard an asthmatic dog wheezing to death out here,"


"She holds them out to me like a peace offering."
image

"..burning the books."


UGH WHAT WHO BURNS BOOKS ANYWAYS
---------

And yeah, that's it! What did you think of this review? (:

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious review! I always did like reviews in gifts. I'm so excited to read this one, it sounds amazing and I can tell you liked it! Excellent review.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!