Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Book Review: A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness.

A Monster Calls A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness.
Book Summary: The monster showed up after midnight. As they do.

But it isn't the monster Conor's been expecting. He's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming...

This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.

It wants the truth.

Liana's Summary: Conor has been having the same nightmare, of the same monster, for such a long time now. But it stops temporarily. Because another monster has come to haunt his dreams. And it wants something even more terrifying than death. It wants the truth.

Rate(1-10): 10

Okay, if I didn't like this book then I would have accused the author of not really being Patrick Ness. After reading his Chaos Walking trilogy, he raised so much expectations. And this book met it. I loved loved loved it so much. (But I love Chaos Walking more. Who doesn't. DOESN'T COUNT IF YOU DIDN'T READ IT)

When I first saw this book, I was like, ARE YOU SERIOUS. IS IT THAT THIN? I'M ONLY GONNA ENJOY THE BOOK FOR 200 SOMETHING PAGES? WHAT. NOOOO. And when I got to the last page I was so freaking sad and oh my goodness. That ending is perfect but, it's just so tragic I wanted to burst into loud sobs right in the library. (Why can't I anyways. Someone farted super loud and it was really disturbing.)

Anyways, the main character. His name is Conor. And he's an introverted, grouchy, depressed, and reckless little git. I don't like him. He has a really bad life. I understand that. He gets bullied at school and pitied and mainly, he's just invisible. His family has a lot of complications. But sometimes I think, if he tried to be happy, he could have been. But the point is, he didn't. This whole book was so depressing yet amazing.

I wouldn't say that there was any character development in Conor. I just think that from the beginning to the end Conor opened up more and finally relented his stubborn self and let everything out. His emotion. His emotion is a big aspect actually because all he did in the beginning was have on a poker face and he wasn't even afraid of dying. He was calm in the situations in which a normal person would be screaming and crying and it really creeped me out. He's scary.

Patrick Ness is just so amazing, period.

I enjoyed this book a lot. And the pictures are gorgeous and expressive even if I don't usually like pictures at all.

Quotes~

"He'd turned thirteen just last month."
Being thirteen doesn't stop you from believing in monsters.. like Justin Bieber said: BELIEVE!

"He'll have to get his baldy mother to kiss it better for him!"

Out of all the verbal bullying I've read about, this is the worst. His mom is horribly sick and all the kids at school can do about it is bully him with it?

"No, Miss, it's not true,"

SOMEONE SLAP THIS KID

"A great arm swung down and snatched Conor up in it, lifting him high in the air, the wind whirling around them,.."


He ain't even scared. But I am.

"You look like a tree,"


"I'm not sorry,"

Wow.

"The sitting room was one of those sitting rooms where no one ever actually sat."

That should be a tongue twister. :D

"Grandma's house is an old lady's house,"


"..there is nothing I can do to help you."


"What did you do?"

Oh Conor. What have YOU done?

"He wants you to kick his arse."

That's something new.

"You lied,"

I'm just wondering how he can say that. He's a afkdjfakldasjklsjalk;j git
------------
And that's it! What did you think of this review? (:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!