Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Book Review: Skinny by Donna Cooner.

 Skinny by Donna Cooner.
Book Summary: Hopeless. Freak. Elephant. Pitiful. These are the words of Skinny, the vicious voice that lives inside fifteen-year-old Ever Davies's head. Skinny tells Ever all the dark, unwhispered thoughts her classmates have about her. Ever knows she weighs over three hundred pounds and that she'll probably never be loved, and Skinny makes sure she never forgets it.
But there is another voice: Ever's singing voice, which is beautiful and strong but has been silenced by Skinny. Partly in the hopes of trying out for the school musical-- and partly to try and save her own life-- Ever decides to undergo a risky surgery that may help her lose weight and start over.
With the support of her best friend, Ever begins the long uphill battle toward change. But demons, she finds, are not so easy to shake, not even as she sheds pounds. Because Skinny is still around. And Ever will have to confront that voice before she can truly find her own.

Liana's Summary: Ever Davies is a 302 pound 15 year old. And no one talks to her because she's fat. At least, that's what Skinny, the voice inside her head, says. Ever believes Skinny. If her mom hadn't died, she wouldn't be in this situation right here. She would have so much friends. She could wear whatever she wanted to wear. Skinny jeans. Tank tops. Booty shorts. So she decides to go through surgery. The surgery that'll change her life, forever. The surgery that will make her skinny.

Rate(1-10): 9

This book is actually pretty good.
Let me take a moment to thank my book buddy, Cindy, for letting me have the opportunity to buy this. (High school sucks. No book orders!)
When I first saw this book in person, I was like, IS IT SERIOUSLY THAT THIN. Wow. And since I don't really like thin books, to be honest, I was really discouraged to read it for a long while. But yesterday, I just needed a quick short read and SKINNY, with 260 pages, was the perfect book to read at that time. So I picked it up.
The cover is actually pretty interesting and the main thing that made me want to read it in the first place. It has a lot of SKINNY on it, doesn't it? It kinda represents a lot.
I judged this cover and title by thinking about someone being too skinny for their own good. Idk. The cover doesn't have an overly obese girl on it. But oh-ho. I was so wrong, because this book was about a fat girl that gained weight because of depression. She was introverted, depressed, and always mad at everyone. I never liked her and still I don't like her that much. But she changed from the beginning to the end, for the better. Ever. What an interesting name, right?

So the title is actually named after Ever's own conscience. We all know that there ain't no voices in our head all the time except for our own. Skinny was a kafjslka;jskldjfaklsj and that's just the reflection of Ever. Skinny was the actual antagonist. But the thing was? The whole thing was just an internal conflict.

Let me discuss the romance. I don't think it's really romance romance because they're only 15 and saying "I love you" is really awkward. I think it would go better with "I've liked you since.." But it's still super cute and Ever was seriously BLIND. Ugh.

So Rat reminds me a lot of Simon Lewis from The Mortal Instruments. Then again, a lot of nerdy hot guys remind me of Simon. But SIMON WILL ALWAYS BE HOTTEST AHAHAHA--

This story actually teaches quite a lot.
-About the weight-loss surgery.
-Insecurity.
-Overcoming your fears. Facing them instead of cowering away.
-That the stepsisters in Cinderella aren't that evil after all.

I kind of like to consider this a fairy-tale retelling. It's a lot like Cinderella. With quite a lot of twists. (; It's a very interesting read and I swear I didn't really smile until the end because it's some depressing book. Until the end. LOL.

The author wrote with quite an authentic voice: it was really good. I think her experiences on gastric-bypass surgery allowed her to write fluently about it in her book.

Anyways, quotes!

"You're really, really fat,"


Oh, little kids. They just know what to say.

"He's a geek jock. Perfect."


omg. A girl's fav.

"I'm proud of you, Ever."


What the hell is this? Her own father doesn't like her because she's FAT. What kind of dad is that? This just makes me really mad and like ugh UGH UGH JUST UGH he's proud of her for losing weight! LF:JDKLFJDSF

"3.95 GPA average.."




I bet she has a C average. Ew.

"But you never asked me."


UGH CAN I JUST SLAP HER
SHE'S TOO INFATUATED WITH THE WRONG GUY

"I miss you and me."



"I couldn't have done any of it without you."


Never.

"Then he kisses me,.."

------
And that's it! What did you think of this review? (;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!