Thursday, February 28, 2013

Book Review: The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde.

The Last Dragonslayer (The Last Dragonslayer, #1) The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde.
Book Summary: In the good old days, magic was indispensable—it could both save a kingdom and clear a clogged drain. But now magic is fading: drain cleaner is cheaper than a spell, and magic carpets are used for pizza delivery. Fifteen-year-old foundling Jennifer Strange runs Kazam, an employment agency for magicians—but it’s hard to stay in business when magic is drying up. And then the visions start, predicting the death of the world’s last dragon at the hands of an unnamed Dragonslayer. If the visions are true, everything will change for Kazam—and for Jennifer. Because something is coming. Something known as . . . Big Magic.

Liana's Summary: Jennifer Strange has 2 more years until she's free, and she's determined to make the best out of those 2 years, running Kazam, the magician agency. When she encounters something inevitable and crazy, she has to take action.. as the last Dragonslayer.

Rate(1-10): 6

Can I just say it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be? I mean, it was okay. But honestly it shouldn't be in the Young Adult shelves at the library. It should be in the Juvenile Fiction section. The cover is, indeed, very alluring and wonderfully made, but really.. the story isn't as good as the cover is.

Jasper Fforde is another James Patterson, I'm just gonna say that. For those people who have read my James Patterson reviews, y'all know wassup. My point is, Jasper Fforde's writing style is a bit juvenile. I really dislike writing negative reviews and all, but like.. this book just didn't come to me as good. I wanted more dragon action and medieval stuff (because yes, I am a dragon fan) but it just concentrated on Kazam and the society and this alternate universe where things are magical. I sort of consider it Dystopian.

As for Jennifer, the main character. She would have been better off as a boy. Jasper Fforde should have made her a boy. I don't know why, but I just know that she would have been better off as a boy. LOL.

Maybe you'll love it, maybe you'll like it, and maybe you won't. People have different opinions and that's all I really have to say.

Quotes.

"You are the last Dragonslayer."



LOL WHAT

"You may leave now."



So.. dismissive. LOL

"Humans," he scoffed.



DRAGONS, LIANA SCOFFS. Idk. Why are other species so prejudiced against humans and look at them with disgust gosh

"Perhaps it was my destiny.."


AIN'T NO SUCH THING AS DESTINY
---------------
Well, that's that.
It may be that I had a really bad stuffy nose while reading this, or my phone was exploding with texts while I was reading this, or that my eyes were about to fall out of their sockets while reading this, or I was just sick of reading books without romance while reading this, or it may be that I just dislike the author's writing style, or it may be that I skimmed some paragraphs.. or whatnot, but I just really didn't like this book. It may have been the author's writing style. But yeah, I'm done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!