Thursday, February 28, 2013

Book Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi.

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi.
Book Summary: Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


Liana's Summary: They locked Juliette up, like she was some crazy psychopath. She wasn't. She just didn't know how to control her disease. When Adam comes into her life once more, she's not sure whether or not he's dangerous, but she trusts him anyway. However, when things turn strange and horrible, Juliette knows exactly what to do, knows exactly who to trust, and knows exactly who to run away from. And she especially knows who's immune to her and who's not... or does she? Is she the only one with strange 'powers'? Is she alone, or not?
Rate(1-10): 9.5

I'm starting to think I'm giving every good book I read a high ass rating. LOL. But honestly, this book totally deserves it.

I got this as a recommendation from a friend, and even before that recommendation I've been wanting to read it for quite some time already. 

I don't know what I expected, but for sure it wasn't some crazy chick who can kill people with her touch. Which is awesome. Her powers, man! It's so Dystopian it's just so wow. I guess I think I'm done and over with my no-dystopia-for-now phase?

What I like about this book is that it has a voice. Reminds me a whole lot of Patrick Ness's Chaos Walking Trilogy. Yes. The author's writing is about as good as Patrick Ness's. Ermahgerd. I'll tell you what's special about Shatter Me. There are sentences and phrases written like this.  It's like her thoughts-- yeah, she could have italicized them. But, instead, she stroke them out and it's like Juliette refused to think those thoughts. It's not really explicable but that's what I really like. It's part of what creates the voice. 

And
this
too.

1
2
3
4
and 5

It's like poetry, and it really creates such a voice that you can hear. To me, that's remarkable.

My eyes are seriously about to fall out. I'm sick as a dog and I can barely breathe through my nostrils and I can barely afford to look at the screen right now as I'm typing this because my eyes HURT. However, I think this book was worth it.. although I won't be too happy if I turn blind.

Juliette- She's a fairly likeable protagonist. However, sometimes she forces everyone to question her sanity. LOL. But yeah, I like her!
Adam- He's so freaking hot omg. I like Adam. They were a cute couple ever since 3rd grade; awwwww. (;
Kenji- It's probably me being too obsessed with Vampire Diaries but I imagined him as Tyler Lockwood. LOLOL. But he's pretty cool.

The antagonist. Don't even get me started.

Overall this book was freaking AMAZING. Totally a recommendation.


Quotes!


"You're afraid of me." 




DUH

"..he's not wearing a shirt."


LOL OMFG

"Your eyes are so deep."


That's honestly a strange thing to say to someone you just met


"Maybe I want to touch you."


Oh okay.


"Well aren't you a little shit?"



MERDE PETITE HAAHAHAH BRB DYING


"Adam is a soldier."


omfg wtf I am angry


"He's beautiful."



I KNEW IT WOULD BE A LOVE TRIANGLE FKODSJFKLS (or is it)


"Besides, it'd be a shame to lose such a pretty face."


That moment when an annoying antagonist is perverted and unsuccessfully trying to be flirtatious omfg


"I'd like to cry into his eyes."


WTF LOL


"You insist on making me the bad guy."


THAT'S BECAUSE YOU ARE POOP


"You're absolutely delicious when you're angry."


#Awks

"I've wanted to kiss you for so long."



YEAH, KISS HER NECK BEFORE YOU KISS HER LIPS. THAT'S PERFECTLY NORMAL.

"Because I'm in love with you."



D'aaaaaaaaaaw. (:


"It's a full living room, open and plush."


IT'S HANNAH MONTANA'S CLOSET ALL OVER AGAIN HUH
------------
That's that! What did you think of this review? (:

1 comment:

  1. I have read so many positive reviews on this book that I am questioning my sanity a little at way I hated it so much. I wanted to love it so bad but I just couldn't. It started out ok but then the writing style and Juliette really started to irritate me....:( wish I could have liked it more.

    If you would like to see all my thoughts on Shatter Me you can find them here: http://theirishbookworm.blogspot.ie/2014/01/review-shatter-me-by-tahereh-mafi.html

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!