Thursday, March 28, 2013

Book Review: The Glass Swallow by Julia Golding.

The Glass SwallowThe Glass Swallow by Julia Golding. 
(Companion to Dragonfly) 
Book Summary:Rain
She designs exquisite stained glass for the windows of her city. But the law is clear — it is forbidden for girls to be part of the glassmaker's guild. To keep her secret hidden, she leaves home and travels to the strange new country of Magharna.

Peri
When he witnesses Rain's capture by a gang of bandits, both his fate and his heart becomes tied to hers. They escape the outlaws, but Peri and his family of falconers are untouchables who are scorned by all, and Rain is not allowed to be part of their lives.
Can Rain and Peri's love survive the prejudices against them? And with the city on the brink of disaster will they be able to stop their world from smashing apart?


Liana's Summary: Rain Glassmaker sees an adventure as an adventure, not a dangerous endeavor to a foreign city. But, when she faces a bandit attack, it's all up to her to make the decisions-- after all, she's the only one they left alive, only due to the brave Peri Falconer. As the two slowly find romance, the city is already this close to destroyed- so will the romance last? Will Rain and Peri work well together, to find out what to do next?

Rate(1-10): 7.8


There I go, with the decimals again. I dunno, I don't really think it deserves a 7 or an 8, for that matter. It's too good to be given just a 7.5.. Well, you see my logic.

Anyways. Since I liked the first book lots, I had decided that I wanted to read the companion book. And no, I was not disappointed at all! In fact, I liked it a lot, although it wasn't as good as Dragonfly.

I'm glad that this wasn't exactly continuing Ramil and Taoshira's story, because they don't really deserve to go through any more adversity after all they've already been through, and I'm just glad to say that they lived happily ever after.

So, Rain, the protagonist, is a stubborn and adventurous character, and independent, and realistic. She's insecure sometimes and a whole chunk of defiant. She shows that, in a sexist world, women can do something that matters and that's pretty amazing. 

Peri. I got excited when he first came to be introduced to the story because I knew that he was the character that Rain was to fall in love with, or at least, meet, but knowing Julia Golding's writing style, I knew there was gonna be at least a little romance, right? Peri is a great guy. He gets angered easily, although I feel like it's sorta a version if irritated worry. He worries too much, LOL. I find that somewhat annoying and somewhat cute. His exterior is calm, however, like I said, he's always worrying for the people who he cares for. 

The romance is so cute. It's not really love at first sight and it's not too strong like I LOVE YOU SO MUCH I'D DIE FOR YOU. Actually, I'm a fan of that hardcore strong romance, but Julia Golding romance is just FLIPPING TOO CUTE TO HANDLE. 

The setting is absolutely perfect, I love it.

You can tell I loved this book. 


Quotes!
Note: Quotes may not be perfectly identical to the ones in the final print version, since the version I read from was an ARC copy.


"The poor boy's in love with you--"


D'awww LOL.

"She'll have to marry one of us,"



AIN'T NO COUSIN OF YERS WANNA MARRY YAH

"Cousin, would you do me the very great honor of entering into a betrothal with me?"


SAY NO

"..but will always need a man to shield you."



HOW SEXIST. This is why I like Rain so much. She proved that sexism does nothing to stop her, or discourage her from anything she wants to do.

"I'm sorry you have to touch me,"


it's okay, when you two get married you're gonna touch each other all the time (THAT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE DIRTY OMG)


"It didn't help that he was still the most attractive Magharnan she'd met."



-giggling in a corner creepily-

"Why must you find this girl?"



Because, MOTHAAAR, of true love

"Do you trust me, Rain?"



This is so Aladdin I'm about to cry

"..and stole a kiss,"



YES YES LOL

"You are not fighting,"



It's because she's a girl innit

"Oh, don't stop. I was enjoying that."



I can't help but laugh so hard at this quote. Oh Peri, you're so q.

"Listen, sweetheart,"


AWWWWWW THEY CALL EACH OTHER SWEETHEART OMG THEY'RE TOO CUTE I CAN'T

"I think I want to kiss you again,"



Then do it

"You're wrong."


You tell him, girl!
----------

That's that! What did you think of this review? (;

1 comment:

  1. My 13yr old daughter is an avid reader - she "gobbles up" books every week, and is rather picky about her choices. She has developed a growing and maturing appreciation for good writing. She could not put this book down and finished it within a weekend (2 days!), despite it being 304 pages - declaring "that was one good book!" She insisted that I read it, and I had to agree with her!

    Marlene
    www.seattlesearchengineoptimization.net

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!