Monday, March 18, 2013

Book Review: Oppression by Jessica Therrien.

Oppression (Children of the Gods, #1) Oppression by Jessica Therrien.
Book Summary: Elyse knows what it means to keep a secret. She's been keeping secrets her whole life. Two, actually. First, that she ages five times slower than the average person, so that while she looks eighteen years old, she's closer to eighty. Second, that her blood has a mysterious power to heal. For Elyse, these things don't make her special. They make life dangerous. After the death of her parents, she's been careful to keep her secret as closely guarded as possible. Now, only one other person in the world knows about her age and ability. Or so she thinks. Elyse is not the only one keeping secrets. There are others like her all over the world, descendants of the very people the Greeks considered gods. She is one of them, and they have been waiting for her for a long time. Among so many of her kind, she should not be very remarkable--except for the prophecy. Some believe she will put an end to traditions, safeguarded by violence, which have oppressed her people for centuries. Others are determined to keep her from doing just that. But for Elyse, the game is just beginning--and she's not entirely willing to play by their rules.

Liana's Summary: Elyse knows she's different. She ages five times slower than the average person. She can heal herself and other people. She's not human. No matter what she wants to believe, she's not human. And not even close to normal. But when she meets him, William, she realizes that she's not alone. There are others, and since she's just discovered them, she realizes that she's been breaking a lot of important rules.. that can result in consequences.

Rate(1-10): 8.5

First of all, I'd like to thank the author for sending me this copy! 

The cover is absolutely gorgeous. 

I've always loved Greek mythology and I knew I couldn't resist. 

Anyways, character discussions.

Elyse-- I love her name, ermahgerd. Anyways, she was the main character, and I guess the protagonist as well. Usually, when characters are in her situation.. the I'm-a-freak-and-you-don't-know-shit and the I-want-to-believe-what-you-say-but-I'm-in-denial situation, the character is annoying and bitchy because the whole time they're just like WTF IS HAPPENING OMG I DON'T BELIEVE YOU AHH and I just can't stand them. However, Elyse was different. I actually liked her as a character. She's caring and determined and stubborn, and not in a bad way either. Although sometimes I can't help but feel that she's seems to be in damsel-in-distress mode a lot.

William-- He's gorgeous, yeah. And really, really cocky. I don't know if that makes him more attractive or just plain annoying. But yeah. I like his attitude and character a lot. He's flirtatious and never awkward. He's always there to save Elyse when she needs him.. 

Kara- She's the bad-guy-but-not-the-bad-guy (jeez, I use too many dashes) character. She's actually pretty great, it turns out, but I couldn't help but be creeped out by her in the beginning.

What I like about this book is that the beginning starts out with tons of questions that get answered later in the story.

I'll have to admit, the romance was a bit awkward. It was almost, sort of love at first sight but not quite.. But it worked out, and that's a good thing!

I'm eager to read the next book, and excited to see how this prophecy is gonna turn out!


Quotes-

"..he would be there.."



Ooooh who is this 'he' you speak of
I think the romance is starting
yes
YES

"She's dangerous, Elyse."



Ermahgerd I don't know what to believe anymore


"I'm not going,"





"Luckily, I'm the one person you can trust."



LIKE I SAID I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO BELIEVE ANYMOREEEE


"The earlier I ended things.."



..BUT THEY BARELY STARTED


"..he pushed his mouth into mine.."



Yes finally omg


"You're mine."






"I love you,"


----
That's that.
What did you guys think of this review?(;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!