Sunday, March 31, 2013

Book Review: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo.

Shadow and Bone by Leigh BardugoShadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo.
Book Summary: The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfil her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?

Glorious. Epic. Irresistible. Romance.

Liana's Summary: Alina doesn't expect herself to be one of them-- one of the powerful, beautiful, and respected Grisha. But she is, and she has to accept it. She has to accept her power, the power that she never knew she had, until now. The Darkling needs her to be strong, to save everyone. Or so he says. Can Alina make the right choice? Can she find out the truth and stop the imminent disaster that's about to fall upon everyone before it's too late?

Rate(1-10): 9.5

I'm gonna start this review like how I start most of my other reviews: I got this book as a recommendation. It's not that I dislike recommendations, it's just that I like reading books that none of my friends or acquaintances have ever read, but it's rarely that I get that luxury. The good thing is, most of the recommendations I get are great! Including this one.

I don't know why I didn't pick this book up earlier because it was FREAKING AWESOME. I loved it lots!

So, you know that moment when you finish the book and look at the cover and title again, you just have that moment of realization that's so beautiful, like OMG IT FINALLY MAKES SENSE! Well, this book. That didn't exactly happen to me. I vaguely get it now, but I don't wholly understand it completely as I should have. Dunno why. 

Anyways, the main character. Alina. She's likable, and I'm thankful for that because I've come across many protagonists that aren't exactly lovable, and they're all a pain in the ass, until likable protagonists actually bother to come along to relieve our paaaaaain~

There are quite a lot of twists in this book and I have no idea how many times my eyes widened in shock in the duration of reading this book. 

I don't know if my foreshadowing skills are developing or if Leigh Bardugo is just that good at writing (probably), but I was able to foreshadow lots of things with little clues here and there.

I think the closest thing it can be is fantasy. It's not quite anything else. It's dark and 'gothic,' sorta, you know what I mean? I LOVE THAT

This was actually a lot better than I had anticipated and it is absolutely WONDERFUL. 

The romance, aka what I'm always thirsty for in every single book I read, was a bit slow at first, but that's only because the author was building up the tension for the twist, which I found charming. But yes, once the romance got started, I was just a happy girl. 

I can't wait for the next book. The covers are so gorgeous.

"I don't think you're ugly."


D'aaaaaaaw. (;

"A big handsome bully."


So done LOL

"..sharp jaw.."



"You and I are going to change the world."



"Then he laughed too, and I remembered how much I liked the sound."


HAWHAWHAW








"And then he kissed me."



"Always."


------
That's that. Once again, I loved this book, and if anyone's looking for recommendations, this is it! What did you think of this review? (;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!