Saturday, March 23, 2013

Book Review: The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima.

The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1) The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima.
Book Summary: An epic battle between good and evil...

Before he knew about the Roses, 16-year-old Jack lived an unremarkable life in the small Ohio town of Trinity. Only the medicine he has to take daily and the thick scar above his heart set him apart from the other high schoolers. Then one day Jack skips his medicine. Suddenly, he is stronger, fiercer, and more confident than ever before. And it feels great - until he loses control of his own strength and nearly kills another player during soccer team tryouts.

Soon, Jack learns the startling truth about himself: he is Weirlind, part of an underground society of magical people who live among us. At their helm sits the feuding houses of the Red Rose and the White Rose, whose power is determined by playing The Game - a magical tournament in which each house sponsors a warrior to fight to the death. The winning house rules the Weir.

As if his bizarre heritage isn't enough, Jack finds out that he's not just another member of Weirlind - he's one of the last of the warriors - at a time when both houses are scouting for a player.

Liana's Summary: Jack is completely oblivious to what he is, to what he can do-- until one day, he accidentally forgets to take his medicine, and almost kills someone during soccer tryouts. Soon, and perhaps not soon enough, Jack discovers the truth of what he is- Weirlind. Things get stranger and stranger, and some people in his life turn out to be not who they say they are.

Rate(1-10): 8

Well, let's just say that this doesn't fit into the category of 'Liana's-normal-genre.' It was great and all, don't get me wrong, but I just didn't like it that much. I had this huge phase back then in which my favorite genre was Fantasy, but now I don't even know, since I'm so sick of Dystopia and I can't stand most Contemporary stories. I guess you would call me a picky reader..

Anyways, I just finished this book this morning, hence the pajama-wearing at this moment. 

This is my first Cinda Williams Chima book, and I think I've got the general idea of what her writing is like. And yes, I'm looking forward to reading the next book. (If you're reading this, Ivy, then hehehehehehe)

The main character. Jack. First of all, that name just makes me think of Titanic and that just makes me cry.. Okay, so if he were a girl-- let's just speculate here, so bear with me-- he would be one of those annoying female protagonists that find out something magical about themselves and are in constant denial throughout the whole entire book, despite all the evidence that comes popping up. And since Jack is a boy that discovers something magical about himself, he just reminds me of Harry Potter. There's only a small moment of denial in the beginning and then they just adapt to be warriors or wizards or whatever. I don't know why a girl is always in annoying-denial-phase throughout the whole story, while a boy is so adapting. It's getting on my nerves.. omg. Which is why I absolutely despise contemporary fantasy. (Harry Potter doesn't count because JK Rowling is typically a goddess of writing.) All the characters have great depth, and all of them are interesting-- I just found Jack the most interesting, him being the protagonist and all.

At first sight, I didn't think that I would ever give this book a try. But here I am, done with the book and typing a review. Maybe because it didn't look like the type of book I would like.

I'm sorry, but the romance wasn't good at all. Like many other authors, I have a feeling that CWC just added the romance in there because she could. Just a few kisses here and there, boom! Now romance readers would love it! I mean, I really appreciate the kissing scenes because they were ridiculously cute, but the book could have done well without it.

And yeah. That's that.

Quotes!

"Ignorance can get you killed."



Ignorance is bliss..!


"High school is incompatible with a secret life..."




WE GATTA FRICKIN HANNAH MONTANA HERE


"..layered in muscle.."



ooou saucy LOL


"When are you going to teach me some love charms?"



He sounds like a desperate little girl. Ermahgerd.


"..twisting a tendril of hair around her finger."



It's love in the air
#ArtOfFlirting


"A different list."



Shit list, probably


"She stopped in midsentence. Jack looked up to see someone in the parking lot."



Way to ruin their perf moment omg what is this Cinda


"You little fool!"



U MAD BRO?!


"I'll play,"



nooooo


"The match is over."




"Susannah, I'm sorry,"



Well well oh la la
----------------
That's that!
What did you think of this review?(:

1 comment:

  1. Chima is an amazing author. I have reread The Warrior Heir many times since it first came out, and I am excited to have had the opportunity to review this book. This is a favorite of mine. I definitely recommend this book for those of you who love magic, fantasy, and adventure.

    Marlene
    Informative URL for Decking Ipe for sale

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!