Friday, April 26, 2013

Book Review: Adaptation by Malinda Lo.

Adaptation (Adaptation, #1)Adaptation by Malinda Lo.
Book Summary: Reese can’t remember anything from the time between the accident and the day she woke up almost a month later. She only knows one thing: She’s different now.

Across North America, flocks of birds hurl themselves into airplanes, causing at least a dozen to crash. Thousands of people die. Fearing terrorism, the United States government grounds all flights, and millions of travelers are stranded.

Reese and her debate team partner and longtime crush David are in Arizona when it happens. Everyone knows the world will never be the same. On their drive home to San Francisco, along a stretch of empty highway at night in the middle of Nevada, a bird flies into their headlights. The car flips over. When they wake up in a military hospital, the doctor won’t tell them what happened, where they are—or how they’ve been miraculously healed.

Things become even stranger when Reese returns home. San Francisco feels like a different place with police enforcing curfew, hazmat teams collecting dead birds, and a strange presence that seems to be following her. When Reese unexpectedly collides with the beautiful Amber Gray, her search for the truth is forced in an entirely new direction—and threatens to expose a vast global conspiracy that the government has worked for decades to keep secret.

Liana's Summary: Reese and David are in a tragic accident, and when they both wake up, they realize that they're different now. Different how? They don't exactly know. All throughout North America, there are deaths, all caused by birds. But why birds? When Reese meets Amber Gray, things go for a twist. Reese finds out the truth-- and is horrified by it. What can she do?

Rate(1-10): 8.5

I've been meaning to read this book for quite a while, and I think I only picked this up now because I'm about to meet the author soon.. LOL. Other than that, I mean, the cover and title are just amazing! The synopsis had me rolling my eyes at the words 'longtime crush,' though because I didn't want to read about some weak girl's crush.And no, it was not a disappointment at all and her 'crush' gosh i just hate that wordwasn't really a big part of this book. Although David was. 

So, the title. I didn't really understand the title at all until, like, 3/4 into the book. But that was fine because the moment of realization was just shocking. Speaking of moments of realization, there were quite a lot. There were plot twists and turns and things just got to a level where a reader would have never expected.

Malinda Lo writes with a surprising grace that keeps the reader reading the whole entire time, and she created a main character that's pretty realistic. Actually, Reese, the protagonist, reminds me a lot of myself. For a lot of reasons. Insecure, self-questioning, impatient, and absolutely REFUSING to 'like' someone. Reese reacted to things the way I would have reacted to things in her position, and that sort of helped with the foreshadowing a bit. At first I thought she was one of those innocent, idk-what-I'm-doing characters, the stereotypical feminine ones that you always imagine with their eyebrows raised in helplessness. But then I realized her attitude had an edge and she was somewhat annoying.. like me!

This was an enjoyable, fast-paced read with a great protagonist. I greatly appreciated the bisexuality in this story, too! It was original, and I like how it isn't labeled a 'bisexual book'. I'd  like to read the second book!

Quotes~

"Never underestimate the Chinese. We're everywhere."


That's kinda true omg. We ARE everywhere. LOL.

"...his mouth was slightly crooked when he smiled.."


ehehehe he cute he cute i approve

"At the counter, Reese set down two granola bars, a large bag of Doritos, a Diet Coke, and a bottle of water."


Is she that hungry gosh

"Maybe other girls liked that nervous, fluttery feeling in their stomachs, but she hated it. It made her feel out of control."


It's ok Reese I hate it too

"I'm straight,"


Riiiiiiiiiight

"I don't think you're straight,"


Okay Amber okay

"Someday you're gonna meet some guy and he's gonna change your mind."


some 'guy'

"I don't know your last name."


And she decides to ask her now

"..he can love more than one woman at a time."


I am mildly disgusted

"..was on her butt."


I maybe laughed a little harder than necessary at this

"Hi,"


bye

"..his mouth skimmed over hers."


omfg AWWW

"Reese's least favorite activity in the world was waiting."


can we get any more alike
-----------------------
That's that! What did you think of this review?(:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!