Saturday, April 20, 2013

Book Review: Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris.

Unraveling (Unraveling, #1)Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris.
Book Summary: Sixteen-year-old Janelle Tenner is used to having a lot of responsibility. She balances working as a lifeguard in San Diego with an intense academic schedule. Janelle's mother is bipolar, and her dad is a workaholic FBI agent, which means Janelle also has to look out for her younger brother, Jared.

And that was before she died...and is brought back to life by Ben Michaels, a mysterious, alluring loner from her high school. When she discovers a strange clock that seems to be counting down to the earth's destruction, Janelle learns she has twenty-four days to figure out how to stop the clock and save the planet.


Liana's Summary: Janelle Tenner dies in a tragic accident-- she feels herself dying. But the next thing she knows, she wakes up and is staring into the face of Ben Michaels, a kid that she's never even talked to. Somehow, she knows, that he has saved her life. And she's determined to find out how. When she confronts him, he is all but comfortable about telling her. As truth after truth is uncovered, Janelle realizes that the world is about to end. And she needs to find a way to stop it. Even if it means splitting up with the one she loves.

Rate(1-10): 8.5

So this is what all the buzz is about. For a long while now, I've been getting..
"Have you read Unraveling?"
"Unraveling is awesome!"
"It's a great book!"

I liked this book lots.

At first sight, I would have assumed that this was a dystopian book, but I guess not. I was sort of relieved that the book started out on a beach with normal, contemporary teenage stuff. (Which just means I need to pick up a good contemporary book pretty soon.) But then it started escalating. I liked the whole apocalypse and multiverse thing with the world ending. This might as well be considered a speculation of the supposedly end-of-the-world thing in December 2012. But definitely more interesting.

The plot had many twists, which were absolutely amazing. The author writes with this grace (it's a debut novel too!) that keeps the readers on the edges of their seats the whole time. The plot was very well organized.

I'll just jump right into character discussions.

Janelle- She's a good protagonist. She's been through a bit of character development and I feel like she's become more jaded somehow. She's definitely responsible, and that's definitely what I like most about her.

Ben- He's a great guy although I was annoyed about his secrets. But even still, he turned out to be caring and surprisingly honest. He blames himself for things that aren't really his fault. Sweet guy.

Alex- The 'guy best friend' of this story, Alex is freaking amazing. Although his persistent denial was somewhat irritating. 

Jared- I can't help but think of Jeremy from The Vampire Diaries when it comes to Jared. I mean, besides the fact that both their names start with J. They're both the little brothers that go, "I'm responsible and old enough to be part of this dangerous thing you're hurling yourself into" and they just make things sort of worse. I liked Jared, though. 

That's all I really have to say!

Quotes!

"..and he's wearing a blue collared shirt and a gray V-neck sweater,.."


That's hot

"Book club,"


I just love it when a guy loves to read

"I'm half-Asian!"


I don't know if I'm supposed to be offended at this stereotype

"Is this the kind of bike Ben works on?"


LOL she could at least try to look less interested


"How often does Ben work here?"


sooo eager


"..how will I ever leave you?"


----------------------
That's all! What did you think of this review?(:

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the twists - there are just so many! Great review!

    Lyra @ Defiantly Deviant

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost checked this out at my local library! I will definitely have to after this phenomenal review! Keep it up!

    Katelynn Clark
    www.literarychameleon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished the book! I loved Janelle's sarcasm. I loved the part when she gets hit by the truck and one of the last things she says is "I had just enough time to cover my face. Because I'm that vain."

    Here's a link to my review, http://myviewpointonbooks.blogspot.com/2013/07/unraveling-book-review.html. Please check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!