Monday, May 6, 2013

Book Review: Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers.

Grave Mercy by R.L. LaFeversGrave Mercy by Robin LaFevers.
Book Summary: Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?

Liana's Summary: Ismae finds herself in a sanctuary where she is trained to be an assassin, trained in the arts of wielding a weapon, making poisons, and seduction to trick an enemy. Next thing she knows, she's in the high court of Brittany, and is faced with a difficult decision-- to choose between her duty and her heart.

Rate(1-10): 8

Yeah, I'll admit it: I'd expected a lot from this book. Yes, it was good. It's kind of hard to type this review because I really don't know where to start. There's just so much to say..

The cover is gorgeous. The title. Oh, my gosh. How could a reader NOT be attracted? Sometimes, authors always write books in which the protagonist is a male, and the male has to save a damsel in distress. And I just absolutely LOVE it when the protagonist is a lady assassin. How fab is that?!

Ismae, the protagonist (who just so happens to be on the cover), is a strong person. She's wields her weapons like another arm. She's a bit insecure and I think the general idea of this book is heart against duty. And she can't do anything about it.

I just love this whole entire setting, except there are a few things that I didn't really like.

The history and the politics. I know this is historical fiction, and I absolutely ADORE historical fiction, knowing full well that this was a HF book before picking it up. But really? I think a little more than enough time was spent talking about politics-- instead of getting on with the story.

The slow romance. Some people LOVE slow romance, but since I'm me, I can't stand slow romance. I just cannot-- Well, my point is, do not read this book if you're a sucker for romance. Because you won't really be satisfied until the latter half of the book. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the romance that happened, how it happened, and all, but I just didn't really like the speed of it.. which just happened to be a speed of a turtle swimming in molasses.

Despite those aspects, LaFevers totally had me on the very first page, all the way to the last.

Quotes!

"..in your household for the next few weeks."


so is this when the romance starts

"...how warm his fingers are!..."


Ain't this somethin'?

"..stares as if he has never seen me before."


hehehe

"..brushes away a strand of hair.."



"It is Duval who sets my heart to racing, who addles my wits, who makes me short of breath. For even when he is angry, he is kind, and not the mere surface kindness of good manners, but a true caring."



"It does not take but three days for the duchess and Nemours to fall in love,.."


It's ok, it took Romeo and Juliet 5 minutes

"And then his lips are on mine.."



"..take his hands from my waist."


DAMMIT DON'T DO THAT

"Thank you."



"Is he dead?"



"Whenever you are ready, or if you never are, my heart is yours, until Death do us part."



-------------------------
That's it! What did you think of this review?(:

4 comments:

  1. Lovely review Liana! I sometimes do enjoy slow romances and I loved Duval and Ismae's in Grave Mercy and the story was just so unique and different that its difficult to put it in words! I still have to get to Dark Triumph but I've heard that its even better :)

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Many of my friends have read this book and I really want to read it too now. I'm also your newest follower! I would really appreciate it if you could come over to my blog to check it out and if you like it, you can follow me as well. I blog about my favourite music and books hence the name Music Plus Books.
    Thank you and good luck,
    Music Plus Books
    - Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this book about death's daughter and how she fights to protect the queen. I did not want to put it down.
    Middletown maid service website

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book really reminds of Maria V. Snyder's Poison Study book or Sarah J. Maas's upcoming Throne of Glass series. A great recommendable read.

    Marlene
    Have you viewed Glendale Moving Companies

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!