Sunday, May 26, 2013

Book Review: Looking for Alaska by John Green.

Looking for Alaska by John Green.
Book Summary:
Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. Then he heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same.

Liana's Summary: After Miles Halter meets Alaska Young, everything changes. Suddenly, he finds himself in a group of friends. Friends, he never had before. He has an obsession with memorizing famous last words.. Things develop with Alaska, until he finally falls for her. But after that night, everything changed for the worse.

Rate(1-10): 8.9

I've been wanting to read this book for a while--because, well, 1, John Green is like a GOD, and 2, it's all the rage.

Some people may argue that this book is too mainstream, and that's why they don't want to read it, and I see their point of view, but the fact that some books are too mainstream make me want to read them even more, because it just sparks my curiosity. The question is: Is it really that good? And all you really have to do is find out for yourself.

So. Was this book good? Yes, it was. It was great. Fabulous. Sad. But I still have to say that I enjoyed The Fault In Our Stars much, much, more. Looking For Alaska was a really well-written book, but I didn't enjoy the story as much as I enjoyed John Green's way of writing.

Character discussions- One thing that I admire about John Green is that he creates characters with depth...

Alaska- Well, her name being on the title, I guess all of you can guess that she's a very important character. She's great, really. Once you get to know her you'll just wonder about her because you KNOW she has depth. You just know. I think she might be my favorite character.

Pudge (Miles)- Well, his name's not in the title, but he just so happens to be our narrator. I can't help but be reminded of Charlie from The Perks of Being a Wallflower when I read this story in Pudge's point of view. How? Well, one thing is that he's easily influenced..

Colonel- He may seem like a really tough guy that would rather die than open up to people, he's a really nice friend inside.

Takumi- I can't be the only one that thought of Kenji from Tahereh Mafi's Shatter Me series. No, it's not only because they're both Japanese, gosh-- it's that they almost have the identical attitude about things. And I love Kenji. So I love Takumi too. Alaska and Takumi are definitely my top two..

Yeah. The story was a bit slow in the beginning, but only for about two pages, because the plot moved on right away. Couldn't put the book down. Didn't want to get off the bed to drink some water- maybe because I was tired and lazy but mostly because I didn't want to put down the damn book.


I hope to read more of John Green's books--I have Paper Towns in a pile under my desk right now--because he is A W E S O M E.

Quotes

"And the way her mouth curled up on the right side all the time..."


So is this when the romance starts


"Because you may be smart, but I've been smart longer."


That's probably the best thing a fictional teacher has ever said


"Too bad I love my boyfriend."


Just forget your boyfriend already ohmygod.


"Pudge, my friend, we are indefuckingstructible."


Note to self: Use that word sometime.
-------------------------
That's that, what do you think of this review?(:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!