Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Book Review: Paper Towns by John Green.


Paper TownsPaper Towns by John Green.
Book Summary: 
Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows.

After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues—and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew.


Liana's Summary: Quentin has loved Margo Roth Spiegelman for who-knows-how-long. So, when she barges into his house through his window demanding that he drive her around, what does he do? He agrees, of course. And that's when he really realizes how much he loves her. He's eager for her to be part of his life. He's eager to sit with her at lunch, exchange smiles, talk more and more. However, on the next day, she has become a mystery. And Q does what he has to do.

Rate(1-10): 8.5

Well, okay. I've heard a lot of good things about this book. It's very mainstream, so mainstream that I saw a classmate reading this book the same time I was in math class. What-a-coinkydink. I don't mind that it's mainstream. I just dislike the fact that mainstream-ness and praise seem to be on the same train. Because, well, just because it's so mainstream doesn't mean it's good, right?

Don't get me wrong. I really liked this book. John Green is amazing. I still think he's a writing god. (Somewhere beneath Mr.Sparks. HAHA.) The beginning was killer.

Well, I'll just flat out say it. The thing that's keeping it from getting a full rating-- John Green tends to write books with somewhat the same plot. And the general plots.. well, generally.. include these:

-A guy. Not a jock, not a total loser. Just a normal guy with a normal family with a normal life with normal insecurities and worries.
-A girl. Suicidal, perhaps, with her own view of the world. Crazy and free. 
-Guy falls for girl. Girl doesn't quite fall for guy as much as he falls for her, BUT we don't know that because the story is usually in the guy's point of view.
-There's always that best friend that is either lovable or dislikable or just whatever-able.
-Something bad happens. Like a death, a disappearance, etc etc.
-Guy tries to do something about it.
-John's humor. (I swear, he is one funny guy.)

I kind of noticed that after reading Looking for Alaska, and then An Abundance of Katherines, and then Paper Towns. Abundance wasn't as similar to Looking for Alaska as Paper Towns was, but Abundance still included most of the things on that list. Out of all John's books that I've read, I still like Fault In Our Stars the most, because it was the most original.

A mon avis, this is what puts Nicholas Sparks above John Green on the Writing God thrones.

But even still, I gave this book an 80% rating because I liked it. I really liked it. John Green has this way of writing that is completely admirable and engaging to the reader. He has a fabulous sense of humor that might get you a six-pack from laughing, who knows, and he is great at spinning up inside jokes and little things that mean little to the ordinary person but a lot to the everyday J. Green reader. You get what I'm saying?

So I want to talk about this book more in depth instead of talking about the amazing John Green in general.

Paper Towns seemed to be a favorite among many people, like I said, and I just wanted to read it. Yes, it was worth my 10 dollars. (Yes, ten freaking dollars.. YAY) And plus, I was in desperate need of a good contemporary book. So why not Paper Towns?!

The main character, Quentin, whom we may call Q, is a very.. normal guy. He's been bullied by bullies growing up, he's a good student, perf attendance (dat's hawt) and he narrates with such a VOICE that screams 'JOHN GREEN!!' He is basically in love with Margo Roth Spiegelman, whose name we see very often in this book. That wasn't a spoiler because it's in synopsis anyway, for heaven's sake. So basically, one night, Margo comes up to him and talks to him for the first time in years. And the plot escalates. I won't say anything else lest I spoil something..

But yeah, overall, the whole story was just very engaging. Definitely a page turner that keeps you goin' till the very end.


Quotes:

"..beside her boyfriend.."


Why does she have a boyfriend?!


"Bro, I saw your mom kiss you on the cheek this morning, and forgive me, but I swear to God I was like, man, I wish I was Q. And also, I wish my cheeks had penises."



Oh my God I can't


"You just love my big ass."



Of course he does -winkity wink wink-


"I was wrong."



Oh my God I'm scared should I be scared


"..but I was smiling."



D'aaw this is so cute


"You're just a really loud, awkward ninja," Margo said, "but we are both ninjas."



Okay I don't know why I find everything Margo says to be quotable like seriously


"..but I need to find her."



Hell yes you do


"Okay. Good. Because I have to pee."



THIS IS WHY I LOVE BEN OKAY
-------------------------------
That's it! What do you think of this review?(:

1 comment:

  1. Great review! My favorite character is Ben, he makes the book a little less serious.
    Please check out my review here....
    http://liveloveandlou.blogspot.com/2015/01/book-review-paper-towns-john-green.html

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!