Sunday, August 25, 2013

Book Review: Descended by Debra Ann Miller (Fallen Guardian Saga #1)

Descended (Fallen Guardian Saga, #1)Descended by Debra Ann Miller 
(Fallen Guardian Saga #1)
Book Summary: Destiny has two ways of crushing us…by refusing our wishes…and fulfilling them.

Vie had no idea when she descended into the small town of Newcastle, Wyoming that she’d find herself mesmerized by the mysterious and alluring eyes of one Carter Stone. And Carter believed he knew everyone that lived in his rural town until the day he locked eyes with Vivian Thorne. He couldn’t help but wonder what was different about this girl he had known all of his life.

He was right, Vie was the beautiful young Guardian that had been sent to their world looking for Carter and she did so merged in the vessel of the Thorne girl. Their meeting sparks a passionate romance between the two and soon after they embark on their journey to uncover the secrets of a past that they begin to realize they both shared. Their forbidden connection unleashes a war with disapproving parties and the lovers find themselves on a mission to uncover the truth of their not wholly human existence and their unbreakable bond.

Darkness falls as Lucian returns to settle a score with them and their lives take a thrilling and terrifying turn. The only way for Carter to stop Lucian and save the one he holds most dear is to unlock the secrets of his past and unleash the powers within him. What are the chances that two raindrops, flung from the heavens, will merge on a windowpane? Gotta be fate!
Deeply passionate and extraordinarily suspenseful, Descended captures the struggles between doing what is expected of you and unleashing your destiny, between fulfilling prophecies and desires, between loyalty and love.

Liana's Summary: Vie is sent on a mission, to take over Vivian Thorne's body. She must find Carter Stone, the Chosen One, and help him discover his true self. But in all this-- Vie might end up falling in love with Carter-- and that can lead to a lot of things.

Rate(1-10): 7

Firstly, I'd like to thank Debra for generously sending me a review copy!

It took a while for me to read this book, mainly due to time constraints. But in my opinion, it was a pretty good story threaded together. 

Our characters--

The main character, Vie, is a Guardian. Or so she's told. She's chosen to go on a mission, and the "mission" itself is not really clarified until she goes on it. Does that make sense? Well, anyway, her mission, as we find out, is to be set in Vivian's body. Vivian is a normal human girl, but she was chosen to be Vie's vessel for a specific reason that you find out late in the story. Plus, they look alike. Like, a lot alike.

Gabriel, Vie's best friend, is such a little shit sometimes. LOL. Well, I love Gabe and all, but sometimes he's just weird. I can't explain. He's too overprotective and he obviously had feelings for Vie but HE NEVER SHOWED IT. 

Carter, Mr. "Chosen One" is also an annoying little shit. So is Jeremy, Vivian's heartbroken boyfriend. I don't think I like any of the characters- except for maybe Lucian (ironic because he's the bad guy)- but really, I have to admit that they all work well together to continue the storyline. 

This whole book was just Vie's "mission" to make sure Carter finds his true self. But she ends up falling in love with him. I have to say that I saw that coming. -laughs-

There were a handful of mistakes here and there punctuation/spelling/grammar-wise, but it was still pretty impressive for an indie.

There was something that I really didn't like though, that nagged me a lot. I just couldn't seem to take the characters seriously. For example, Calumus.. Callumus.. Camulus! Ah, I had to look back in the book for his name. Anyway, Camulus. I just couldn't take him seriously. Because he would talk like a heavenly authoritative (which he IS) and then he would talk like.. well, someone that's NOT a heavenly authoritative. And Lucian too. Even though he was the bad guy, and might be the only character that I'm fond of, he still had some pretty dumb lines. Also Gabe. I mean, sometimes he was trying to sound all 'official' and then sometimes he just sounded dumb trying to speak casually. But that's kind of all that vexed me about the way they spoke. 

Vie, on the other hand, was still so useless sometimes I just had to roll my eyes.

Overall, I liked this story. This was an easy page-turner that tells you love is a powerful thing, and some parts really left me dangling on the edge of my seat.


Quotes:

"Those eyes were just irresistible.."


Okay Gabe we don't wanna hear it


"See you down there, kiddo."


Kiddo? Okay that ruins everything


"..a terrible fear of churches."



..I don't know what to say, Carter..


"Carter is mine!"


OKAY OKAY DAMN


"This mission is going to be easier than I expected,"



DON'T SPEAK SO SOON


"Kade was a non-athletic girl whose passion was for writing,.."


Lol me


"Okay, Vie, your team B's captain."


-flinch- ... *you're


"There is nothing you can say against Gabriel that I would ever believe.."



awwwww


"Oh, so you won't be staying?"



Look who's relieved


"Stay here with me where you're safe."



Because staying with Carter is sooooo safe


"..why Gabriel thought she & Vivian looked so much alike."



-flinch- ... I DIDN'T JUST SEE THE AND SYMBOL. NO. 


"..she really has to be heaven-sent."



How ironic


"..had been made for each other.."



CAN YOU NOT CARTER PLEASE NO


"No, Vie, and stop interrupting every time I want to tell you how beautiful you look."


This has to be Carter's best line..


"There was no yearning desire in her to rip his clothes off like before."



Well that's subtle.


"Well, I don't believe you."



Well, I don't care.


"Stunned by his fury, she began to cry."



Vie what the hell


"Carter hugged Gabe.."



THE BROMANCE. I SHIP THEM


"I promise, Vie, I'll never let you go,"



CRYING BECAUSE TITANIC


"Goodnight, cowboy."



CALLING SOMEONE COWBOY RUINS THE ROMANTIC MOOD OK VIE JUST DON'T.
-------

That's it! What do you think of this review?

2 comments:

  1. Lol. Great review girl! I guess I need to check out this book xD
    Happy reading
    Jackie

    http://www.nobentspines.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!