Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Book Review: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky by Veronica RossiUnder the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
(Under the Never Sky #1)
Book Summary: WORLDS KEPT THEM APART.

DESTINY BROUGHT THEM TOGETHER.

Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim.

Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive.

If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers.


Liana's Summary: Aria and Perry are separated by so much- so no one expects them to meet. So when they do, hesitation, disgust, and mistrust hangs in the air between them. Perry is looking for his nephew. Aria just wants to get to her mom. The two slowly form an alliance because they realize that they generally want the same thing, and are headed in the same direction. But of course, something more than an alliance will form. 

Rate(1-10): 8.5
It's about time! I'd finally gotten a chance to read this. Why didn't I pick it up earlier? Well, this book has gotten a lot of hype. And I'm talking, a lot. Everyone was reading it. And I was just like, "Is it really that good?" Today, I finally get to answer that question for myself: It's good. But not that good. Just somewhere in between really good and good.

I hadn't known what this book was about when I'd picked it up. I'll admit that. There were a lot of concepts to grasp, and that is, I guess, what makes the book just a bit flawed. I could have used a bit more explanation. Page 1. It just jumped right into the story. I can say, for some books, this is a good thing, but it didn't really work for Under the Never Sky because it was all futuristic-y, and hey! We don't live in the future! But what I did like was that Veronica Rossi actually explained it very clearly, without having to really explain it. In example, the Smarteye. I was just like, "The hell is a Smarteye?" But throughout the story, as we watched Aria, our main character, interact with her Smarteye, we got to know what it was and how it worked. (Aria was really attached to her Smarteye in the beginning of the book, you can't help but notice. But as her character developed she didn't really care about it anymore, so we can only analyze the Smarteye as a part of her past. So it shows she doesn't care about her past anymore.)

This whole society setup is just.. segregated is the best word I can think of at the moment. Aria grew up in what her society has thought of as order and organization (or so she thinks ahem) but Perry, our other main character, has grown up a society that's all.. wild. He hunts. He shoots arrows. He doesn't wear a shirt most of the time. Come on. So even if both societies are separated, it's just one society. 

When Perry and Aria meet, there's that inevitable horror and disgust hanging in the air between them (but we all know they fall in love so it's fun watching their relationship develop). The romance is just absolutely wonderful. I love it when both characters hate each other at first and, like I said, it's fun watching their relationship develop.

Out of all books, I'd really have to compare this to Shadows Cast By Stars by Catherine Knutsson. They have lots of similarities, but a handful of differences. Also, perhaps Origin by Jessica Khoury. If you've ever read either of those, you'll understand the story structure of Under the Never Sky.

What I liked about this book was that it didn't waste time with all the "fillers" that most other books have, but I'd also disliked that because it got confusing at times.

Lastly, I have to comment about the cover and the title. Cover, first. That cover with Perry and Aria floating is just flat out gorgeous. EXCEPT PERRY IS SUPPOSED TO BE BLOND. HELLO, PEOPLE WHO DESIGNED THE COVER? The other cover, with Aria just walking towards us, doesn't tell us about the story that much. But still gorgeous and eye-catching nonetheless. Now, the title. The title doesn't make much sense if you don't read the book. When you read the book, it just makes so much sense and seems like such a fitting title for the whole story.

Overall, this was a 374 page read that went by like a blur. (Because I woke up and read in bed for about four hours. Which means it was great.) Despite how much time I'd spent reading it. I'm eager to read the next book!

Quotes!
Note: This is an ARC copy of the book. Quotes may not match those of the final print's.


"He was shirtless, but there was no mistaking him for Bane or Echo."


OMG IS THIS WHERE THE STORY STARTS


"Brooke shot him a flirty smile."


NO BROOKE NO FLIRTING


"Muscular, but not like Soren."


DON'T COMPARE HIM TO SOREN EW


"But nothing was more hideous than his eyes."


Aria is such a judgmental b-- *sighs* that's mean


"Her Smarteye was buried in a Neanderthal's armpit."


THIS WAS MUCH MORE FUNNIER THAN IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN


"A world of nevers under a never sky."


And everything makes sense


"..he let the corner of his mouth lift."


HEHEHE


"Only a few years older than she was, with dark hair and those clear blue eyes."


oh okay


"His voice was a beautiful, smoky baritone."


OKAY


"I say no."


Party pooper!


"Do what he says!"


Aria is so annoying. Just. Ugh. She's so afraid of death, you never even see what's coming.


"You slaughtered them,"




"Aria...it's your first blood."


WAIT WHAT HOW AWKWARD


"Dwellers didn't menstruate."


SHUT UP ARIA NOW YOU DO


"Delicate. Beautiful. Perry shook his head, surprised by his own thoughts."


Hehehehehe


"It was a mess of knots. Like his own hair, Perry realized."


Great now Perry is conscious about his own hair


"You look handsome."


hehehe


"Turn her hips."


OH MY GOD 


"No," Roar said. "Perry, just do it for her."


TURN HER HIPS -chants-


"There are other things I'd rather do when I'm alone with you."


oh, okay


"He lowered his head and brought his lips to hers."


FINAL-FRICKIN-LY! IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME. I HAD TO WAIT SO LONG


"A violet."


Brb crying
----------
That's it! What do you think of this review?


4 comments:

  1. OMG THIS BOOK THIS BOOK THIS BOOK
    I love the part where they fall in love, because they legit hated each other at first then when they started fall in love and Perry smelled violets and Aria sang for him and he TURNED HER HIPS oh goshh it was just so cute. AND LIKE IT WASN'T INSTA LOVE OR ANYTHING AND THEY'RE JUST SO CUTE BUT THEN THEY CANNOT BE TOGETHER BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO MIX BABIES LIKE WHYYY PERRY MIX LAH MIX LAH AND I NEED TO GET MY HANDS ON THE 2ND BOOK LIKE PRONTO

    (Sorry for my Malaysian 'Lah's , I couldn't control myself :p) Nice review btw! :) Keep reading!

    www.darkangel3663.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW RIGHT?!?!? Omg. LOL.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I loved the love story in this one too! :)
    Mei @ Diary of a Fair Weather Diver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? It's absolutely fab. Thanks for stopping by! (:

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!