Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Book Review: What Really Happened in Peru by Cassandra Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan

What Really Happened in Peru (The Bane Chronicles, #1)What Really Happened in Peru by Cassandra Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan
(Bane Chronicles #1)
Book Summary: Fans of The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices know that Magnus Bane is banned from Peru—and now they can find out why. One of ten adventures in The Bane Chronicles.

There are good reasons Peru is off-limits to Magnus Bane. Follow Magnus’s Peruvian escapades as he drags his fellow warlocks Ragnor Fell and Catarina Loss into trouble, learns several instruments (which he plays shockingly), dances (which he does shockingly), and disgraces his host nation by doing something unspeakable to the Nazca Lines.

This standalone e-only short story illuminates the life of the enigmatic Magnus Bane, whose alluring personality populates the pages of the #1 New York Times bestselling series, The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices series. This story in The Bane Chronicles, What Really Happened in Peru, is written by Sarah Rees Brennan and Cassandra Clare.

Liana's Summary: What Really Happened in Peru summarizes Magnus Bane's adventures before meeting our favorite TMI characters and after meeting our wonderful TID characters, and tells the story of what really happened in Peru.

Rate(1-10): 10


When I saw that this was free on Pulseit, I knew I had to read it. I mean, I'd always wanted to read it, but I'm not big on buying ebooks. 

What Really Happened in Peru is about Magnus Bane, of course, as the series IS named after him. (And is, evidently, trying to explain what really happened in Peru.)
Even if this was quite a short story, we get to know Magnus a lot better and where he was BEFORE he met Alec, Jace, Clary and AFTER he met Will and Tessa. Magnus is actually a very fun guy. Well, at least he used to be. (I think now he's just fabulous and sarcastic) This Magnus is not the Magnus we got to see in TMI and TID, but a whole different Magnus entirely. But, still the same Magnus. Same and different. It's hard to explain. What I think is an unwritten rule is: When Magnus cries, you cry. When he laughs, you laugh. Magnus has that effect on people.

I absolutely loved loved loved this read and I'd definitely recommend that you read it.

I am so pumped to see City of Bones on the big screen and I can't wait to see Godfrey Gao portray him! I'm sure he'll be awesome. (I'm pretty sure that's his face on the cover right there.)


Quotes!


"There was also a woman who referred to me as her sweet peapod of love,"


LOL WHAT.. oh, Ragnor


"Ragnor," Magnus reproached his friend. "You cannot blame me for every little natural disaster that happens!"


Yes he can, Magnus


"Magnus had not been settled anywhere since his lover died--not his first lover, but the first one who had lived by his side and died in his arms."


THIS IS SO SAD


"Magnus flailed on impact, was briefly grateful that nobody was watching him and expecting him to be a sophisticated warlock, and had a monkey assault launched directly to his face."


I don't know why this is so funny


"You're quite wrong, you know. I am the most permanent person that you will ever meet," said Magnus, his voice breathless with laughter and his eyes stung a little by tears. "It is only that it never makes any difference."


AW POOR MAGNUS IS CRYING.. IT'S OK MAGNUS WE LOVE YOU


"You told us to leave you in the desert, because you planned to start a new life as a cactus," Catarina said, her voice flat.



OH, MAGNUS. I LOVE MAGNUS. DRUNK MAGNUS IS SO STRANGE AND FUN. 
------
What do you think of this review?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!