Thursday, December 5, 2013

Book Review: Fallen by Lauren Kate

Fallen (Fallen, #1)Fallen by Lauren Kate
Book Summary: There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce – he goes out of his way to make that very clear. But she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, Luce has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret...even if it kills her.

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, FALLEN is a page-turning thriller and the ultimate love story.


Liana's Summary: When Luce is sent to Sword and Cross, she knows her parents fear her enough to send her someplace like that. When she meets Daniel Grigori, she knows something is up. And then she meets Cam. Torn, Luce doesn't realize what either of them are.. 

Rate(1-10): 7


At best, this book was OK. As a reader, I've picked up a lot of different.. I don't want to say genres exactly, but instead, types of books and Fallen just fits into one of those categories that I strongly dislike.

1. A "normal", irritating, main character
2. School. Cute guy? NO. TWO cute guys. Oh, the pain of choosing!
3. Contemporary angels. Really? 
4. Gasp! Something's up with cute guy #1! Cute guy #2 seems weird too! OMG! I'm magical!

Those four points may sound achingly familiar to some of my fellow readers who have taken in the same sorts of books that I have.

Fallen is just another one of those books that have a gorgeous cover that drew me in but not a story to live up to it. That cover is gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous, and suggested a sort of a pre-contemporary setting. But instead, I was just a bit disappointed. It may be my bias towards stories not like this one.

However, the story was quite well organized, the inevitable awesome moment of realization well-written, although the foreshadowing was a bit.. too.. strong and, if there was mystery intended, it wasn't as well implied as it should have been. Heck, I guessed a lot of those details and was suspichy the entire time about certain characters that turned out to be FDKLAJFADLKJFDASKLJ.

I have to say, the goodreads summary saying it's an 'ultimate love story' is an overstatement. The romance in this book was just awkwardly written.

But, overall, this book is halfway there to perfection, and I probably shouldn't expect much from the first book of a series. I probably won't be picking up the second book. 

Just because I didn't enjoy it as much, doesn't mean that you won't. I don't know, does it sound interesting to you? Give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!