Sunday, December 29, 2013

Book Review: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

The Time Traveler's WifeThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Book Summary: A dazzling novel in the most untraditional fashion, this is the remarkable story of Henry DeTamble, a dashing, adventuresome librarian who travels involuntarily through time, and Clare Abshire, an artist whose life takes a natural sequential course. Henry and Clare's passionate love affair endures across a sea of time and captures the two lovers in an impossibly romantic trap, and it is Audrey Niffenegger's cinematic storytelling that makes the novel's unconventional chronology so vibrantly triumphant.

An enchanting debut and a spellbinding tale of fate and belief in the bonds of love, The Time Traveler's Wife is destined to captivate readers for years to come.


Liana's Summary: Henry DeTamble and Clare Abshire have a long history. Except when Clare approaches Henry when he is 28 years young, working in a library, he has no idea who she is. And she knows that is the way it is supposed to be. While Henry has never seen Clare before in his life, Clare has grown up seeing him. It is not amnesia-- but time travel.

Rate(1-10): 9.5


What. The. Fuck. Well played, Audrey. Well played.

When was the last time I had so many feels over a book? Whaaaaaaaaat. You're reading and reading and you're halfway through the book and then you look at the cover and the COVER SUDDENLY MEANS SO MUCH.. The feels. This book made me laugh and tear up and oh my god IS THIS REALLY A DEBUT NOVEL BECAUSE DAYUM THAT'S GOOD

Excuse my hopefully temporary inability to write a review because I haven't written one in a long time and I don't think I ever knew how anyway

So. This book is regarding time travel. I've always been fascinated by the subject and would be immediately captivated when a book's synopsis or title even SAID "time travel" and so of course, I found this. A handful of months ago (or even last year) I asked for the best romance novel out there, and I got this as a recommendation. Well, I couldn't resist because I was both a romance novel fanatic and a time travel geek. So I picked this up and I was so not ready for the feels. LIKE, ONCE AGAIN. DAAAAAAAYUM.

The concept of time travel is so confusing, but Audrey managed to grasp it so well it kind of made all the other time travel books I've read look bad. What's different about this book is that it's safe. Because time is sort of this thing that has all been set up already and events are set, and no one can change anything no matter what they do. Time cannot be changed in this world. So no one accidentally causes World War III on accident by writing a few numbers on a piece of paper. THAT IS AMAZING. If-- I mean, WHEN you read this book (as you will probably feel compelled to do after reading tons of positive reviews), don't think about the whole concept too much. It'll leave you mindfucked.

Henry and Clare fuck a lot. Lots of "we fuck" and "we kiss" but I like that. (Could use a bit more detail, Audrey. Just a tiny bit.)

There's just this voice in both Henry and Clare's narrating it's freaking amazing. 

Henry is badass. Very. Badass. I like Henry.

Despite how I didn't understand 3/4 of the allusions because I'm a mere teenager, the 1/4 of it I got was actually pretty funny and fit in well. (Also helps if you know a little bit of French.) Loved it. 

Overall, THIS BOOK WAS SO CUTE. It was so cute. Goddamnit. I loved it and was completely engrossed (despite being momentarily distracted by Dots on my mom's Android and angrily screaming "I MISSED THE SQUARE! SHIT!") throughout. It was a page turner and completely engaging. I will definitely not hesitate to recommend this to people in the future.

I'm sorry this review seems to be in no particular order.. it's probably because I jot down all my thoughts for this review on a couple of post its as I read and it's all in random disarray


Quotes


"Our daughter, I think sadly, would have looked like this." 


wait what


"I'm corrupting my poor innocent little self. I sigh. Somebody's got to do it."


IT'S OKAY HENRY it's not often you get to corrupt a younger version of yourself by teaching him necessary skillz of survival


"It dawns on me that I am jealous. Jesus. I can't believe I'm feeling jealous of a multimillionaire rock star geezer old enough to be Clare's dad."


And this is why I love Henry


"I reach into Henry's coat pocket, push my fingers through the hole at te bottom, find his cock, and squeeze."

HAHAHAA OMFG I CAN'T WHAT


"To who? Who would marry you?"

HAVE A LITTLE FAITH IN YOUR OWN SON MR DETAMBLE
--------------------------
And that's that. I will be watching the movie soon. (How did I know that Rachel McAdams would play Clare?)



3 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite books of all time! And I love Henry omg <3 <3 Such a bittersweet ending, it had me in tears. I've always loved time travel too! One of the reasons I loved this so much.
    Great review :D

    Richa @ City of Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad they left out the hole in pocket part out in the movie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audrey Niffenegger is truly a talented author and a wonderful storyteller. And, with my enthusiastic and humble opinion, I strongly recommend this book.
    Top Divorce Lawyer Seattle

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!