Saturday, April 25, 2015

Book Review: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

The Adventures of Huckleberry FinnThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Goodreads: Of all the contenders for the title of The Great American Novel, none has a better claim than The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Intended at first as a simple story of a boy's adventures in the Mississippi Valley - a sequel to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - the book grew and matured under Twain's hand into a work of immeasurable richness and complexity. More than a century after its publication, the critical debate over the symbolic significance of Huck's and Jim's voyage is still fresh, and it remains a major work that can be enjoyed at many levels: as an incomparable adventure story and as a classic of American humor.

Rate(1-10): 8

I thought that this book was really well written, and I'm certainly not the first to say so, so I suppose that I would be judged if I'd said the opposite. Lol.

I didn't read this book for leisure-- this was another assigned reading for English class... I have to say, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I did have to use Sparknotes to help me, but that's the way it is with all books.

Having read The Prince and the Pauper, I know that Mark Twain is certainly not boring and definitely amusing to read. He's absolutely hilarious and will make you laugh at least a couple of times. Huck Finn is an amazing book by a clever and witty man. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for an adventure.

1 comment:

  1. This book is a pure joy to read and I suggest you read it without looking for a political agenda. Just let the story flow and enjoy each word. The dialects used may slow you down a bit at first but they add so much to the flow of the book that they are quite indispensable. This is a wonderful story, full of youthful innocence and backwoods charm. Just one little warning though, once you start reading you won't be able to put this book down.

    Marlene
    Veritable Whitetail Deer Ohio

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Comments really make my day. Don't forget to leave your link below so I can check out your blog as well!